Tuesday, May 22, 2007

a brief introduction to highland Peruvian cuisine

...based on my own experience up until now.

You should already know about mate de coca. If not, well, there's the link again. It is basically just an herbal tea that they make by pouring hot water over a few here-ubiquitous coca leaves. They say it cures everything. I don't know about that, but I do like it.

On Sunday afternoon I ate a huge steak. Probably not what you are thinking, though. It was wood-fired alpaca. Quite tasty as well. To drink, chicha morada. Yum!

Yesterday I grabbed a bottle of the curiously bubble-gum-flavored Inca Kola. I think it is safe to call this the unofficial national beverage.

Today, walking along Avenida del Sol, I stopped in a tiny cafe for an ice cream cone. One scoop of crema volteada, a sweet cream flavor sort of like dulce de leche. Another scoop of lúcuma, some sort of local fruit. All for a whopping 2 soles, about 60 cents. (Nothing, however, will top Mérida's huge fresh waffle cones with piña colada ice cream, I am convinced.)

No comments: