Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A couple of gems from the market

The neat thing about my culture class here is that my teacher incorporates on-site visits into the course, reminding us that what we are learning is real and alive, not just stagnant words on a piece of paper. This week we are studying Andean medicine, which has roots going back as far as 3000 b.C. and whose principles are very much alive and well in the mentality and practices of people here today.

Apparently, frog soup cures pretty much everything: headache, tired eyes, anemia, the prostate, asthma, nerves, menopause, and epilepsy. Who'da thunk?














Sahumerio
is a mixture of paper fiber and herbs, used like incense. Here is a selection of sahumerios which, when used properly, promise things like money, love, protection from evil, or even a clean house. If you are looking for a more economical option, I would recommend the all-in-one "siete poderes" (seven powers).

2 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

Bah humbug the hats! Get me some magic cures. Voodoo is my new do.
I died laughing. Those pictures rock my entire world.

Vanessa Swenson said...

in fact the little boxes made me laugh so hard that i made the photo my desktop.
the only problem now is stopping the laughter.